Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hellboy: The Third Wish (Mike Mignola) - Jared Greenleaf; example assignment



1. Analyze: (e) Rising Action is used in the first book of this 2-part story. Hellboy is spiritually lost, and wandering from one conflict to another – This is ironically contrasted by the fact that everyone else in the story (African lions, spiders, bats, a Shaman, mermaids, etc.) knows exactly what he is supposed to do and where he is supposed to be.

2. Rating: PG-13. PG-aged viewers would almost be able to see it if it weren’t for the mermaids. Although the drawings are in good taste and there is no close-up detail like nipples, a child will still notice that the mermaids have no shell bras (pages 1, 12-16, 22-26).

3. Springboard: A knowledge of African mythology specific to those of Anansi the Spider would be necessary for writer Mike Mignola. I read a lot about Anansi in Neil Gaiman’s Anansi Boys. Anansi knows many stories, and it was genius for Mignola to write that Anansi also knows “Hellboy’s story”. One thing I did not realize until late, was the impact of story on humankind. The Odyssey is considered the first epic. Anansi would also be of this caliber, his is a story telling the of the introduction of 'story' to the world.

4. Apply: Mignola uses existing mythology known across many countries, and then inserts his own stories as a part of that canon. I think I can do this with my stories – there is a Book of Genesis element that I can borrow from to help shape my fictional world in the hearts of potential readers. By borrowing ideas of the creation I will be able to help my readers understand by comparison and contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment