Thursday, May 5, 2011

Jake Wyatt - The Real World of Comics

I found Jake Wyatt's presentation to be both informational and entertaining. I feel like he pulled no punches, was completely honest, and let us all in on what the real comic book business is really like and what to expect if we ever want to be a part of it. That is what I found most helpful to me as an artist and a comic book fan. It let me know what to expect if I chose to live the life of a comic book artist. It is hard, there are a lot of obstacles, and you must be very persistent if you want to make a name for yourself. You have to be able to look at your work and critique it honestly. He said "If you know you can do better, you must be able to trash whatever you have and start over. Even if it take four or five tries until you have something that is working and viable." It is a business and you must produce. If you do not produce or you do not produce what they want you to produce you will not be in the industry for long or at all. But if you first work on the things that they want, then sometimes, they will let you do your own projects with your own ideas. Everything Jake had to say was very educational and in summary I learned a lot from his presentation.

1 comment: