Monday, May 2, 2011

Syllabus - Story!!!

I’m most interested in learning about the story aspect of comics.

More specifically a couple of things I came up with:

What have/are people doing to tell stories well?

-from panel to panel, page to page, cover to cover, etc.

-with style of art and style of page layout

-some of the more creative /unconventional (yet still effective) methods

I haven’t been exposed to many comics, so I feel like there’s a bunch of story devices going on in the panel itself to a more global scale of the entire comic book itself being used that I’m not aware of… I would like to become more aware of what’s going on with this story thing, so that I can use these concepts and perhaps even make innovations on my own comics.

I actually VERY excited for this class. I’m planning on doing a 10 page comic for my Illustration BFA project next year, and I’d like to get as much development and application from this class into my BFA project as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Reminder to self: Paul Pope's 100% sharpie comic blueprints (a kodansha device). Sorry if you don't understand that, but for anyone trying out an ambitious goal as you are, kodansha devices are a must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Mack's first "Kabuki" graphic novel, is one of a handful of BFA project-comics that have gone on to sell well in the comics arena.

    ReplyDelete